CALLING ALL MUSHROOM LOVERS! I wanted cream of mushroom soup one day and figured well lets just wing it. I had different kinds of mushrooms on hand along with some garlic, onions, broth and added some seasonings. My first task was cleaning the mushrooms. Those who enjoy mushrooms know sometimes they can taste a little too earthy and I did not want a dirt earthy taste in the soup. So I cleaned them good with a damp cloth then sliced them some in chunks and some sliced so we had a different texture while eating the soup which was delicious!
I sautéed the onions, butter, and garlic until fragrant and added the mushrooms along with seasonings and broth and heavy cream. Letting it simmer for 40 minutes or so a low simmer helps thicken the soup to a nice cream texture. Then a final step is to add a little bit of cheese to set it off.
This soup makes A LOT so it is great for a family gathering or even for an appy for Thanksgiving! If you give it a try or tweak it do comment and let me know!
What we need:
5 ½ cups fresh mushrooms some sliced some diced
32oz chicken broth
8oz cream cheese
¼ cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic diced
2cups heavy cream
½ cup parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1tbs garlic powder (I like roasted garlic from Penzeys.com)
3tbs Italian seasoning
What we do:
- Melt butter in a pot add garlic and onions cook about 8 mins
- Add mushrooms cook about 10-15 mins until the juices start to release from the mushrooms
- Add cream cheese and mix till melted; add broth and heavy cream
- Add seasonings EXCEPT cheese and bring to a boil
- Reduce and bring to a steady simmer; let simmer uncovered for 40-45 mins stirring frequently and adjusting seasons to your liking
- Add parm cheese and simmer another 10-15 mins