I have been dying to try baking eggs in sweet potatoes and last night we had breakfast for dinner so I took and chance and tried it! They came out absolutely delish! I was concerned with the eggs leaking out of the sides but that didn’t happen! This is a great easy breakfast and or dinner idea!
Avery had pancakes and of course since we are in jersey Pork roll is a must! If you want to know about pork roll and the history of it here in jersey click HERE In addition to pork roll, we also had a side of eggs, bacon and I made my famous seltzer biscuits which is a feature in my first and second cookbook. Joe had his egg on a biscuit with cheese and pork roll.
Now cooked these looked perfect HOWEVER I did over cook a little. I wanted a soft runny dippy egg and this was slightly over done. Next time I will watch the time closer and maybe just cook for 12 minutes. If you like eggs and sweet potatoes this is a must try!
What we need:
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 Tbs butter
Salt and Pepper
What we do:
- Clean potatoes, cover in oil and bake at 450F 40minutes to an hour depending on the size and thickness of your potato. You want them tender. Decrease oven temp to 400F
- Remove and let cool about 5-10 minutes. Carefully scoop out the insides and place the insides into a bow. Be careful not to pierce the skin or remove too much.
- To the potatoes in the bowl add the salt and pepper and butter. Mix well and season to taste. Spoon a small amount back into each potato and make sure to make a well. We will be nesting an egg in the center.
- Crack an egg into each prepared well carefully. If some spills over it is ok
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or cooked to your liking. Mine were slightly overdone it was almost a boiled egg texture. Next time I will check at the 12-minute mark for a dippy yolk center. But the flavors in this were epic! A keeper!